Sunday, January 29, 2012

As Time Goes By...Treasure Every Moment!

Amy Katherine 1.29.1982
Methodist Hospital - Rochester, MN
For some reason, I am feeling rather nostalgic these days. Today, especially, I am remembering January 29, 1982. Of course, I will never be allowed to forget the stories of falling asleep on the sofa watching the Minnesota Golden Gopher mens' basketball game, waking up to go to bed only to be awakened again a short time later with the news that "our firstborn" was about to arrive. Then, obviously expecting a photo opportunity, I took time to shave before we headed out for Methodist Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota.

Thirty years, 10,957 days, 292,968 hours, 15,778,080 minutes or 946,684,800 seconds has passed since 3:26am rolled around on January 29, 1982. Seeing those statistics adds depth and perspective to my own life and makes me feel really old. It is sometimes difficult to grasp or accept that one of my offspring has reached such a milestone. More than a cliche, life goes by too fast and it is my hope and prayer that every one of us will take time to appreciate the blessings we receive.

Throughout the years, Amy and I have shared very special father-daughter moments. Just some of those moments include watching Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, the Big Bird: Follow That Bird movie, reading together, walking to Ralph M. Captain school, attending seminary basketball games, vacation Bible school and confirmation classes, Sunday School programs, St. Paul Lutheran, Martin Luther and Lidgerwood High schools' basketball games,volleyball games and tournaments. There were some really good times and others that we may wish could be forgotten.

Over the years, Amy has grown into a beautiful young woman, now with a family of her own. She has overcome challenges and obstacles, worked extremely hard, dedicated herself to her studies and earned two degrees. Even more importantly, she has devoted herself to her husband and beautiful daughter, Emma Denise. We are proud of her in every way and I am delighted to say that I was there on in the early morning hours of Friday, January 29, 1982 at 3:26am to welcome an adorable baby girl into the world as it was on that day.

I was there to hear your borning cry, I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child, with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off to find where demons dwell."

"When you heard the wonder of the Word I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord, to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme from dusk 'till rising sun."

In the middle ages of your life, not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night, complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in, and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been with just one more surprise."

"I was there to hear your borning cry, I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold."

- John Ylvisaker, 1985
Amy & Emma Visit Grandpas
Dallas, TX 1.14.2012

Throughout our lives, we have the opportunity to celebrate many milestone events. Challenges, choices, responsibilities, joys and sorrows are part of human life in this world. The writer of Ecclesiastes summarized these sentiments in one of the most memorable passages of biblical scripture. The Byrds immortalized the words in a song entitled "Turn, Turn, Turn". Ironically, Pete Seeger put those words of Ecclesiastes to music in 1959, the year of my birth.

In our lifetimes, we have seen and will see again "a time for everything" because "whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before..." [Ecclesiastes 3:1a; 15 NIV]

A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace
.
[Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV]

Dear Amy, it is my hope and prayer that the next thirty years will be filled with every good and beautiful blessing of God. On March 2, 2041, may you have the opportunity to reflect on the joy and blessing of knowing a special daughter in your life. God grant that the mother-daughter bond you now share will grow and develop over the years into a beautiful friendship that will endure forever.

God's blessings and Happy Birthday, Amy!
Love, Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment