Sunday, February 13, 2011

Another Crossroads!


Crossroads. Which way should I go? There are biblical directives which lead us, there are poems which inspire us and there are songs to remind us to "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV) If anyone is led to believe that you come to a crossroads once in life and that is that, that person is truly misled.

Here I am, once again at a crossroads of life. And not so much that I expect my life to change or be changed dramatically. Yet it seems that life as I know it is changing all around me. Sometimes I find myself waxing all nostalgic for earlier times in my life. I am taken back to the farm country of my youth, the small town schools, familiar faces and places. Of course, many of the faces are gone through the years that have marched on despite all my best efforts to stop them. Sadly enough, I never really imagined myself at this age - 20s and 30s, yes! Never in my 50s.

So I ask myself if this is what I want to be doing with my life. Even as I take a step more permanence in this stage of my career, there remains a nagging, a longing, a yearning for something more. The next few weeks will bring challenges, successes, disappointments, joy and possibly heartache. Yet I know that "I can do all [things] through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13 NIV)

Tomorrow, Bill is scheduled for another vascular procedure at Baylor Heart Hospital in Plano, Texas. In the words of the hymn "Take My Hand and Lead Me" by Herman Brückner, Rudolph A. John & others based on Julie von Hausmann (1826-1901)...

Lord, when the tempest rages, I need not fear;
For you, the Rock of Ages, Are always near.
Close by your side abiding, I fear no foe,
For when your hand is guiding, In peace I go.

As Amy and Jeremy move closer each day to celebrating the birth of a precious gift from God, I am reminded once again of that life verse that has been a source of comfort and strength in many situations. "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

At a crossroads? Not sure which way to go? Perhaps some time spent praying other words from the same hymn quoted above would be time well spent.

Lord, take my hand and lead me Upon life's way;
Direct, protect and feed me From day to day.
Without your grace and favour I go astray;
So take my hand, O Savior, And lead the way!

- DB Turnmire
13 February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment