Thursday, March 3, 2011

Letters to Emma - Day 1

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart..." [Jeremiah 1:5a-b NIV]

Dear Emma,

Welcome to the world! When you were born, a little more than 24 hours ago, God graced His creation with another touch of beauty and innocence. Your mommy Amy and daddy Jeremy have awaited your arrival with the utmost love and anticipation. And now, dear one, you are here!

As you grow to know the love and warmth of your mother and the gentle touch of your father, I know that God has great things in store for you. His plans for you began even before you were a twinkle in the eyes of your loving parents. I know you are a special little girl because your parents are very much in love with each other and have longed to share that love with the greatest of God's gifts - their own dear child.

What a tremendous blessing you have already been for your daddy and mommy, as well as all of the extended family members and friends who have waited for the day of your birth. It is my prayer that those loved ones will always treasure you and be a blessing to you. In return, I believe that you will bring an abundance of blessings into their lives.

Emma Denise, there are a thousand wonderful things that I would tell you about your family in due time. Of course, most of those things are about your mother and her siblings. Your mother and I shared a special father-daughter bond in those early years and I pray that you will share that same special relationship with both of your parents. I imagine that you will become "daddy's little girl" in due time, even though I am sure he will want you to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

One day soon, I hope to hold you in my arms as I once did your mommy. It is very hard for me to believe that time has passed so quickly and this "daddy's little girl" has grown into a beautiful mature woman, a wife and a mother. Now I am a grandfather and hope you will be "grandpa's little girl" whenever we have time to spend together.

Until then, I will ask God to send his angels to watch over you and your parents. May He bless each of you with the fullness of His love and grace to keep you safe and healthy. Tonight as you and your mommy rest, I entrust your family to our Heavenly Father with the words of an ancient Welsh folk song:

"Sleep my child and peace attend thee,
All through the night;
Guardian angels God will send thee
All through the night."

Good night Emma!
With love, Grandpa David

1 comment: