Friday, March 4, 2011

Letters to Emma - Day 2


"Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." [Proverbs 17:6]

Dear Emma,

Your mommy and daddy, all of your grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends of your parents are more captivated today than yesterday by the adorable baby girl in Muncie, Indiana. By now, your parents have taken you home from the hospital and all of you are getting settled in as the Malheim family. Don't tell them but your mommy's and daddy's lives have only started to change.

Just between you and me, Emma, I am enjoying being a grandfather. Contrary to common thought, it is actually helping me to feel younger rather than older. Some of my co-workers and friends are having a great time calling me "grandpa" or asking "How's grandpa today?" That's OK because I enjoy showing off pictures of you to friends at work, at church and even where I used to work in Minnesota. And if your daddy and mommy keep taking adorable pictures of you, I will keep showing them off. Since it has been decided that I will be visiting you in Indiana in a few weeks, perhaps we can have our picture taken together. You will become a celebrity here in Dallas, Texas.

The time has grown late dear Emma so I will end this letter with the following night time prayer.

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord, my soul to keep.
To guide me safely through the night
And wake me with the morning light."

Good night and God bless!
Grandpa David

1 comment:

  1. We are all excited for your visit! Hopefully by then we can be in a semi-routine, right now it is definitely controlled chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete