Wednesday, November 22, 2017

"What's Cooking?"

"What's Cooking?"

What sounds like an appropriate question surrounding Thanksgiving dinner became the title of a movie released in 2000, prior to the events of 9/11 and when, at least for appearance sake, there was less open hate speech and controversial division in society. Set in urban Los Angeles, viewers of the movie follow four families of different ethnic and religious backgrounds as they prepare for and celebrate Thanksgiving in America. Ironically, the four families live on four corners of the same intersection yet know very little of the others' existence. One soon realizes how the families are intertwined and a shocking event draws them out of their houses as the day of Thanksgiving draws to a close.

By now, I have watched this film numerous times as it became a Thanksgiving tradition in the Bill and David household. Indeed, I watched "What's Cooking?" again yesterday afternoon while attempting to resolve a pesky computer issue. With every viewing, something new catches my attention or perhaps details I had taken for granted take on new meaning. As I watched the beginning of the movie, it was as if I had never viewed those scenes before. All of them seemed new and different. Bill, who was much more a movie and film aficionado than I will ever be, loved this movie and I am thankful that this became a part of our Thanksgiving tradition even while I tended to favor the non-traditional.

Today, 22 November 2017, marks eight months to the day and day of the week since Bill's death. To say that I was not prepared for the emotions which the holiday season would bring this year is an understatement. Reality and one's own thought process are not always in sync. The past several days have been especially difficult yet with much to do, there are times that I feel frozen and stopped in my tracks. 

As I find myself in prayer and meditation, the call to return to ministry gets louder. Sometimes those who are called to proclaim good news need to listen and reflect on that message for themselves.
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion --
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of joy instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

[Isaiah 61:1-3c NIV]

This past Sunday, I was introduced to an unfamiliar hymn which led me to seek out resources to learn the hymn lyrics, the tune and the composer. Quoting from a blog post on The St. Augustine Record website: "Henry Smith Jr. was born in Crossnore, North Carolina, in 1952. Of the nearly 300 songs he had written, only one has been published -- that's right, only one, but what a song! What a meteor!" “Give Thanks” continues to be one of the most popular songs — during the Thanksgiving season — used in churches worldwide. It is easy to understand why so many people love this song. One only has to carefully examine the lyrics.

Give thanks with a grateful heart;
Give thanks to the Holy One.
Give thanks because He’s given
Jesus Christ, His Son.
And now let the weak say, “I am strong!”
Let the poor say, “I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us.”
Give thanks!


Heavenly Father, You created us to give thanks in all circumstances and for all things. Forgive us when we are thankless. During this season of thankful living, we give You thanks for those loved ones who have gone on before us, with whom we no longer celebrate the earthly gifts of Thanksgiving. Through Your Son, our Savior and Redeemer, we celebrate the gift of eternal life by grace through faith. During this season and always, send Your Holy Spirit to comfort us in our sorrows, renew us in our times of weakness and remind us of all the good gifts we share because of Your blessing. May we find our Thanksgiving joy in You! In the name of our Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier - Father, Son + and Holy Spirit. Amen

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
[1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV]

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching this movie with you and Dad! It has become a favorite for me, not just because it's a good movie, but because it's associated with memories I am deeply thankful for!

    Love this, Love you. Thank you for the reminder to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thank you for your comments. Apparently I should have paid more attention to the blog after I posted.
      Love, Papa!

      Delete
  2. Great movie! Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, thank you for your comment and for watching the movie!
      Love, Dad

      Delete