Friday, May 15, 2009

A Makeup Blog

One of my recurring dreams during the past few months finds me attending college and enrolled in several classes. Unfortunately, during these dreams I rarely make it to any of my scheduled class sessions. For some reason, there are always things or events that get in the way of going to class. So, of course, when it comes time to take the exams for these classes, I am filled with fear and trepidation. Since I am not generally an interpreter of dreams, I have not attempted to analyze or find meaning in these dream sequences.

I do remember missing a lot of school days in elementary school due to illness. In the "old days", we typically had assignments in every class every day. If I missed a week of school, that meant that it would take several days and several missed recesses to make up all of the work my classmates completed during my absence. Another factor about missing school, at least for me, was that it often took a few days to get back into the swing of things, so to speak. Until that happened, I often found myself feeling detached, unaware or feeling that I missed something.

Missing one or more days of blogging reminds me of the days of "makeup work" for elementary school. There is almost a sense of being absent and unaware of how readers might react if I am unable to complete the daily blog posting. In addition, a twinge of guilt that I have somehow fallen short of my commitment takes place. Of course, it has been said more than once in my lifetime that "I am my own harshest critic". That explains, in part, why I am writing a second blog today as a sort of "makeup blog".

My faith reminds me that "we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." [2 Corinthians 4:7-9] "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." [Romans 8:28] The good news for me is that my makeup blog will be directed and perfected by God.

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment