Friday, May 15, 2009

Self Reflection

"Who am I?" is a question often asked by individuals who are seeking to "find themselves". While some of us may be tempted to snicker at the thought of someone taking time to find himself or herself, the truth is each of us may be well-served by self reflection occasionally. Did you ever stop to consider how well you know yourself or how well others, including those closest to you, really know who you are, what makes you tick, what are your likes and dislikes, and what your opinion might be on hot button issues like politics, religion and current events?

It is of great interest to me that American society claims to emphasize individualism, personal accomplishments, personal fulfillment and personal happiness. At the same time, in many arenas, it becomes quickly apparent that uniformity is desired. For example, oftentimes in a corporate environment, expressing one's thoughts, ideas or criticism is considered disruptive. Please don't rock the boat, so to speak, or certain power players will be uncomfortable. In fact, you may even be asked to pursue your career with another employer.

We might also consider our families and other personal relationships. Is there a danger in hiding who we really are so that we can help others to be more comfortable with who we pretend to be? Do we sacrifice our own values, ideals, feelings or opinions to keep the peace and maintain the status quo? Will we find true happiness if we sit quietly and allow the majority of our friends and family to express themselves without regard to our thoughts and feelings?

It is very tiring trying to be someone we are not. Take it from me - I had years of experience of keeping up a facade, not even allowing myself to know the real me. As a result, I found myself in ministry attempting to bring relief and peace to others when it kept evading my own life. During part of my ministry, Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" became a theme. At least once, I even quoted the song in a sermon.

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face
During the entire time I was trying to figure myself out, and even today, Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. " [Matthew 11:28] No matter who we are, who we are trying to be, who we think we would like to be, who are friends and families perceive us to be, all of us are invited to seek peace and comfort offered freely and without restriction. We will find the answer to the question "Who am I?"

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment