Friday, April 17, 2009

How Do You Spell M-E-M-O-R-Y?

April 17 rolls around every year and it seems that almost every without fail, one certain memory surfaces. On Saturday, April 17, 1971, I had the proud honor of representing Dodge County at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune spelling bee for the state of Minnesota. This was quite the achievement for a sixth grade farm boy from a small school in southern Minnesota. Not only had I won my school's spelling bee, which for some reason only included fifth and sixth graders at the time, but I had won the county spelling bee beating out mostly seventh and eighth grade students from the other school districts in our county.

Accompanied by one of my older sisters and the superintendent of schools and his wife, who was my sixth reading and spelling teacher, this was my first trip to the big city of Minneapolis (at least in my recollection). Only once before had I traveled to the Twin Cities and that during our sixth grade trip to the Minnesota State capital. Truly this was an experience for someone who had barely been across the borders into Iowa and Wisconsin. Our family farm was primarily a dairy farm and you didn't travel very far very often. I still remember the excitement of riding in the elevator at the Foshay Tower.

In the morning was the written test and I clearly remember that I had never heard of most the words we were expected to spell during that written test. As you can probably tell, I was not one of those who had earned the right to participate in the afternoon's oral test. I cannot remember what we did that long afternoon but I do remember that we had to stay around for the evening's banquet. This was quite boring since I was disappointed in my performance and didn't really care to watch as others were awarded ribbons and prizes.

Every once in awhile, I reflect on that date and wonder why I still remember those events. Actually, there were many years in my late teens and twenties when I probably gave the date little or no thought at all. It was as I entered my thirties that I started reflecting on this and other events that had played a part in shaping my adult life and who I am today. We all know because we have been told over and over again that there is no point in dwelling on the past.

However, there is wisdom in giving the past its proper perspective and recognizing how it helped to shape the present and will likely have an impact on our future. In my case, it has helped me to become an above average Scrabble player and a fairly decent proofreader. I also believe that God, in His providential wisdom, used those events in my life to help prepare me for more successes and disappointments throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment