Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Amazing News for Tough Times

As I become more comfortable with daily blogging and have begun to reach out to others and share the web address for my blog, I am being positively amazed by the response. As more of you read and share, please feel free to offer your comments. Perhaps we will be able to begin some positive discussions of some of the topics offered. Thanks to Annie, a friend and former co-worker, for taking the time out of her busy schedule to offer her comments. My daughter Amy tells me that the daily blog reminds her of listening to my sermons in church and that each day speaks to the things she is going through in life. One of my former parishioners, Yvonne, echoed those same sentiments in an email which I received from her today.

Just imagine how we could change the world by opening up positive dialogues on the topics and issues which would appear to set us apart from one another. The times in which we find ourselves living today are challenging to say the least. Economic hardship, unemployment, foreclosure, homelessness, an international swine flu epidemic, major wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - just to name some of the concerns on people's minds. Desperate times are also causing otherwise sane individuals to act in desperation. Rarely a week goes by without someone snapping mentally and killing themselves after they have killed a number of family members or even complete strangers.

There is an old saying that "when times get tough, you know your true friends". The biblical psalms remind us of what may happen when those closest to us cannot handle difficult situations in the lives of friends or family. "My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak. Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors; I am a dread to my friends — those who see me on the street flee from me. I am forgotten by them as though I were dead; I have become like broken pottery." [Psalm 33:10-12] Some who find themselves in despair feel that either there is no God or, if there is a God, they have surely been abandoned and there is no way out of the darkness.

Writing a daily blog is proving to be one of the most therapeutic measures I have ever taken. Yes, I am still unemployed and receive little or no response from most of my applications or resume submissions. We will miss our next mortgage payments and will likely be on the downward slope toward foreclosure. The upside of all this was reported in yesterday's blog. Our yard and the landscaping shrubs and trees look really nice. We are tearing out the rest of the carpet on the main floor to reveal the hardwood floors underneath. Strangely enough, I have lately become more determined to make every effort to stay in the house if possible. There is no mistaking that faith will be tested in the months to come.

I am often reminded of another scripture passage from the Book of Proverbs. Proverbs 18:24 encourages me with the reminder that "there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Recent experiences have also proven a measure of truth to the saying "out of sight, out of mind". How quickly and easily we forget those who come into our lives but for a season - "friends" and acquaintances, former co-workers and employees, or even family members.

Many of us are making an effort to get back to basics by streamlining, purging things, downsizing, etc. Maybe this is a good time to rediscover the basics of human relationships and interactions. Meaningful friendships require more than superficial knowledge of another person. Relationships which offer lasting benefits call for active sacrifice on our parts as well. The end result will definitely seem to be worth it. In case we could forget, Jesus said "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." [John 15:13] That is exactly what He did.


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;'
Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

[John Newton, 1725-1807]
~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment