Friday, April 24, 2009

Thank God It's Friday!

Millions of working people around the world look forward to their weekend and the phrase "T.G.I.F." is thrown around with abandon. Most of these individuals are looking forward to Saturday and Sunday as a time for their weekend activities, time to go shopping, do yard work, clean the house or just plain to rest and relax. Of those who freely use the acronym, T.G.I.F., probably very few consider the original meaning of the words themselves. While it would seem that this is a somewhat flippant use of the divine since not many are really thanking God for anything.

Nonetheless, TGIF continues to be commonly used. Of course, I will readily admit that many times during my years of employment, I have also used the phrase or the acronym. There have been times when I have sincerely thanked God for a certain day, including some Fridays. At the time of this writing, I am thankful that today, a Friday, is almost over. It has been a long day of installing appliances, connecting gas lines, and venting a clothes dryer. It was not necessarily my idea of a good time. Yet, when the tasks are complete, there is a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.

Throughout my life, I have readily given the credit to God for my talents, abilities, skills and ability to learn new things. In many areas, except motor vehicles, I consider myself to be quite capable and am willing to take on new projects as they come up. Make no mistake, these projects usually take their toll on my aging back, muscles, arms and legs. Still, I am thankful that I am able to carry out these tasks reasonably well. Thanks goes to God.

Like every day I have the opportunity to wake up, breathe in and out, and carry on daily activities, I am thankful. Thankful for Friday, just like I will be thankful for Saturday and Sunday as well. Yes, I will be thankful for each day that I am able to live by grace. So T.G.I.F. ~ Thank God It's Friday!

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment