Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day! (Blog #12)


Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers who celebrated the gift of fatherhood today. It's hard to believe that this is the twenty-eighth Father's Day for me. Of course, when I compare how I look today with the picture accompanying this blog posting, then it is no longer so hard to believe. The little girl in the picture, my daughter Erin, will turn 18 in September 2009. There is one thing that you learn quickly as a father. Children grow up, sometimes too quickly, and then fatherhood takes on a whole new meaning.

Another thing that I ran across this Father's Day, while looking for the picture above, is a certificate that my son, Alan, received for participating in "The 1997 Minnesota Twins Father of the Year Essay Contest". The essay theme for that contest was "What It Takes to Be a Great Dad". I still have the essay packed away for safekeeping. Alan was only seven (7) years old when he entered that contest. I still remember how proud he was that he could write what his thoughts on being a great dad. Alan will be 20 in October.

On Father's Day 2009, my older son, Ryan, is the middle of his annual summer duty with the Minnesota Army National Guard. Now 23, it seems Ryan is beginning to understand the wisdom of his father. I look forward to developing our relationship even further and the possibility of becoming better friends in addition to the father-son relationship. Of course, we are all proud of Ryan's accomplishments and wish him continued success in the future.

The adventures of fatherhood began for me with the birth of my older daughter, Amy. Now married and living in Indiana with her husband, Jeremy, Amy and I continue to enjoy a unique close relationship which began in her early, formative years. I received a text from Amy to wish me a Happy Father's Day today! "Happy Father's Day to the man who is always there for me and raised me to be the woman I am today. Thanks dad!" We look forward to seeing each other and spending time together later this summer.

Happy Father's Day to Bill also! His sons sent text greetings to him on this special day. His younger son, Matt (23) sent him a classic movie, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?'' Bill was very excited about that gift. His older son, David (26) surprised both of us with postage stamps he had ordered with a picture of the combined family (we missed Matt that day). It will probably be the only time that I have my picture on a postage stamp. Thanks David!

Bill and I are blessed by our children, as I am sure all fathers are thankful for the gift of loving children. To all fathers who were able to spend this day with their children, Happy Father's Day! For those who are separated by distance or circumstance, Father's Day blessings to each of you as well. Until next Father's Day, " 'The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.' " [Numbers 6:24-26 NIV]

~ DB Turnmire

4 comments:

  1. Happy belated Father's Day! How cool about the stamps!

    2 non-father's day comments:
    #1-I absolutely LOVE the movie "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"!

    #2-The verse you ended with is one of my favorites. Our choir sang the Choral Benediction at the end of each concert and those words hold a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post!

    You know, the famous writers that we learn about in school did not become famous until years after their death, and some of them have made their way on stamps, coins, flags and on really old, forgotten about and avoided college text books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey dad i just sign up but it was very good but it was good one i cried AND I STILL CRY

    ReplyDelete