Sunday, June 14, 2009

Is A Picture Really Worth A Thousand Words? (Blog #3)

It is time to dissect another of the old and worn adages. This time it's "a picture is worth a thousand words". Is a picture really worth a thousand words?

Now I would be the first to agree that in certain moments of history, pictures do speak volumes. For example, on September 11, 2001, the photos taken of the two world trade towers in flames after the planes crashed into them spoke volumes to the hearts and minds of millions of people here in the United States of America and around the world. Later photos of the debris and ashes following the collapse of the towers made the destruction and havoc clear to all of us. Likewise, photos of the horrific Interstate 35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis on August 1, 2007 sent shock waves around the world. How could such a tragedy happen in the United States?

Aside from unrehearsed historical photos, there are those snapshots of life and time taken without preparation or staging. These too are able to fit the old cliche that "a picture is worth a thousand words". In antithesis of those candid snippets, there are those photos which sometimes appear "perfect" as the subject or subjects pose for the picture. By definition, some of the meanings of the word "pose" include: 1. To assume or hold a particular position or posture, as in sitting for a portrait; 2. To affect a particular mental attitude; 3. To represent oneself falsely; pretend to be other than what one is.

If we really think about, it may be easier to understand my willingness to challenge the old adage. How many of us have received photo Christmas cards of a family, maybe even someone related to us, and every member of the family has a big smile on their face like there isn't a care in the world for any of them? The question is "what is really going on behind the scenes"? In the most stage of photos, it is really what the picture does not show that is worth a thousand words.

As human beings, we have mastered the art of the cover up. In fact, professional models are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to hide themselves and show the camera what it wants to see. They are trained to set aside their own emotions, concerns and heartaches to "get into character" and sell the product or clothing line for which they are being paid. In a similar way, you and I may set aside emotional stresses, mental anguish, personal conflicts and pain to "pose" for friends and family. It's as if we say to ourselves, "there is no sense letting the real me show. I am not sure everyone else could handle it if I did. In fact, I am not sure I could handle myself."

It is a good thing there is One who sees us for who we really are - the individuals behind the photos.
O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
[Psalm 139:1-4 NIV]
_____________
"Praise [God] because [we are] fearfully and wonderfully made; [His] works are wonderful, I know that full well. " [Psalm 139:14 NIV]
_____________
~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment