Saturday, July 25, 2009

48 Hours (Blog #48)

It is now less than 48 hours until the moment that we have been leading up to these past few weeks. The culmination of the past 48 blog posts, including this one, will be here and then, in an instant, it will become just a memory. At 8:37pm on Monday, July 27, 2009, I will mark 50 years of life here on planet earth. As if you didn't already know that!

48 hours is a relatively short period of time. In fact, two twenty-four hour periods we call days. By air, one can travel thousands of miles within 48 hours. Even by car, bus or train, you can travel fairly long distances. I have completed a few round trips from Dallas to Minnesota and back to Dallas in less than 48 hours. As my children are able to attest, more than one of those trips included a fair amount of excitement.

Someone close to me has pointed out that at the moment I will celebrate the 50th anniversary of my birthday, I will have already lived 50 years. That point has been duly noted and is certainly correct. The 50th moment of any one's birth takes place when they have completed 49 years here on earth. So, in fact, when we have determined that an individual is 50 years old, that person is actually observing the 51st occurrence of that birth moment. Now, it becomes so confusing to keep all of this straight.

I am sure everyone, including me, is just waiting for July 28, 2009. Thankfully, I will only celebrate this milestone once in a lifetime. No matter where I find myself in the days, weeks, months or years ahead, I will be confident in the promises of God. He reminds me, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." [Joshua 1:9 NIV]


~ DB Turnmire

1 comment:

  1. Well, I give you permission to turn 49 again if you want. I am not going to be turning 30, so I feel it is only fair to allow you the same right to not turn 50. :)

    ReplyDelete