Thursday, July 2, 2009

Time Marches On Part 1: That Was Then (Blog #18)


The year was 1976 when the photo to the left was taken. It was my senior picture for the class of 1977. Sometimes, it is very hard to believe that so much time has passed. It reminds me of the country song with the same theme by Tracy Lawrence. Time marches on!

Recently, I have taken an interest in networking sites like Facebook (second time around) and Classmates.com. I have been registered on Classmates.com for several years but never before was I that interested in connecting with those from my graduating class. For years, I avoided class reunions because I felt that I had not quite "achieved" what I had set out to do in life. Not that I am totally sure what it was I expected to achieve. I just knew that I had not achieved "it".

On a leap of faith, I did attend the twenty year reunion of the Dodge Center High School class of 1977. It was a great time. The fact that I received the award for "the male class member who had changed the most in 20 years" helped me enjoy the reunion. I also enjoyed the attention of my former classmates. Not being all that popular and even ridiculed by some of the "popular" people during high school, it was amazing to me who actually struck up conversations and, at least, appeared to be genuinely interested in my life.

If only the class of 1977 could see me now! I can only imagine the reactions I will receive should there be a 35 year reunion in the year 2012. Now depending on when that reunion would be held, we may be on the verge of the end of the world. In that case, it won't really matter much what any one's reaction is to any classmate that they have rarely or never laid eyes upon since high school graduation. So much speculation and only time will tell. We can be sure, no matter what happens, time will continue to march on!

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment