Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No ReDos in Life (Blog #33)

Have you at least once in your life wished that you could back to an earlier point in your life and do things over? You know, something in your life or some decision that you would like to change. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, such opportunities do not exist. Unlike a bad hairdo which might be redone to make it presentable, there is no way to gloss over our past to make it more palatable.

I, for one, think that it is a good thing that we cannot redo our life in the past. If we could, I can only imagine people going back time and time again to redo a certain point in life or an important decision hoping to get it right. Since, however, human beings have penchant for being dissatisfied, there would never be a resolution. Beyond that, if we were constantly changing things, we would never be who we are now. You and I are the result of our cumulative experiences in life, for better or worse.

What I am hoping for when all is said and done is to be able to echo the words of the apostle Paul in his second letter to Timothy. "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." [2 Timothy 4:6-8 NIV]

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment