Thursday, July 2, 2009

Take My Life, O Lord, Renew (Blog #17)


Surprisingly to me, the words of a hymn popped into my head earlier this morning as I was driving down the road and I began to sing. Perhaps you will join me in this prayer for today.

Take my life, O Lord, renew, Consecrate my heart to you;
Take my moments and my days; Let them sing your ceaseless praise.

Take my hands and let them do Works that show my love for you;
Take my feet and lead their way, Never let them go astray.

Take my voice and let me sing, Praises to my Savior King;
Take my lips and keep them true, Filled with messages from you.

Take my silver and my gold, All is yours a thousand-fold;
Take my intellect, and use Ev'ry pow'r as you shall choose.

May my will your holy shrine, It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is your own It shall be your royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour At your feet its treasure store;
Take my self, Lord, let me be Yours alone eternally.

[Translation from Lutheran Worship #404
Concordia Publishing House, copyright 1982]

Text: Frances R. Havergal , 1836-79
______________
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " [Matthew 25:37-40 NIV]

~ DB Turnmire

1 comment:

  1. wow.. I really needed to read that today. Thanks!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete