Tuesday, July 7, 2009

God Works in Mysterious Ways (Blog #24)


" 'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.' " [Isaiah 55:8 NIV]

In times like these, I am sure the old cliche "when God closes a door, He opens a window" is being thrown around like the Minnesota Twins throw around a baseball in warm ups before a game. Seriously, does anyone honestly think that really makes another person feel better when a door has just hit them on the back side? In retrospect, I should have asked anyone who told me that a few months ago, "how long do I have to wait for the window to be opened?" Or "how long should I expect to wander around out here before I can crawl back in through the window?" I am confident that God laughs at us when we try to put him in a box or place human parameters around his activity.

On the other hand, what I have found to be definitely true is that God works in mysterious ways, in His own ways at His own time and at times when we least expect His activity. The truth is, God doesn't think the way we think and his schedule doesn't follow our calendar or timetable. There is one cliche that may be appropriate for consideration. It goes like this - "be careful what you pray for because it just might come true." Some would say that if someone prayed for something, it must be what they really want to happen in their life. That may not be true.

Recent experience has confirmed while it may seem that people drift in and out of one's life for a season or several seasons, God obviously has a hand in the path and direction of our lives. Each of us travels through life confronted by opportunities and decisions. The best we can hope for may be that we choose wisely a majority of the time. Then again, where we end up in life will also depend on whether or not we relied solely on our knowledge and devices or if we have relied on the wisdom of God. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
[Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV]

Goodness knows the paths I have followed have not always been straight. There were times when the route of my life was circuitous and unnecessarily painful. One thing I was always certain of was the knowledge that God never left me. He is very much active and working wonders. As a result, only a couple of days ago, I was able to have a conversation with someone from a previous ministry situation whom I have not seen or spoken to for over nine years. The encounter was very much a surprise and an unexpected blessing. God does work in mysterious ways!

~ DB Turnmire

No comments:

Post a Comment