Monday, July 27, 2009

Blog First, Book To Follow? (Blog #49)


For several years now, I have been encouraged by a few close loved ones and friends to put my writing skills to use by writing a book. My response has almost always been, "I don't think I would be able to write a book." Then I started writing a blog. Recently, it occurred to me that the amount of effort put into consistently writing a blog would eventually translate into the amount of work required to write a book. Having said that (actually written the words), it also occurs to me that there are a few other questions that would need to be answered before undertaking a project like writing my own book.

Among the first questions to be answered would be "What is the subject matter?" Furthermore, "What type of book would I write?" Will I write an autobiography? If so, who will read it. Should I write a work of fiction instead? Is there an audience for that type of work? Better yet, would it be most prudent to publish a book of poetry? Since I am well on the way with the number of unpublished poems which I have written in the past eight years, that choice would seem to a logical one.

These are all great questions to ponder. Then again, considering my background and education, something in the religious realm would not be out of the question either. At this juncture, I will find it prudent to rely on my faith and seek guidance from my Creator. One of the favorite books to study from the Bible, at least for me, is the Book of Proverbs. From the onset, the writer (possibly Solomon) provides us with incomparable wisdom like the following verses.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
[Proverbs 1:5-6 NIV]

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." [Psalm 119:105 NIV]

Guide me, O Lord, in the path You have set before me. In all that I say and do throughout my life, may You receive the glory. Amen.

~ DB Turnmire

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs is MY favorite book in the bible, too. =)

    I have found many of your blog posts to be uplifting and motivational, so if you decide to write a book, I vote you write something motivational and inspirational.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete